Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Ragu Sauce

Some years back when son L was in Haiti for several months, we spent a week with him. While there, we became acquainted with Doreen and her husband from Ohio. Doreen is a pro at cooking and talked about a pizza sauce that is baked in the oven. I kept it in the back of my head and this summer I finally made it.

The first step:
cut tomatoes in half and lay cut side down in 10x15 pan
bake at 350 for 20-30 min or until skins crack
let cool, peel and remove white-ish core and squish with hands
(I like chunks in my sauce but it can also be blended)

Ragu Sauce
8-10 quarts tomato sauce

saute:
3 lbs diced onion
4 green peppers
2 bulbs garlic
1 cop cut-up celery
1 cup olive oil

blend in and mix well:
1 tbsp pepper
5 tblsp parsley flakes
1 tblsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
These ingredients can be blended in a blender before adding rest of ingredients.
I did not because, again, I like chunky sauce.

add and mix well:
1/3 c salt
1/2 c sugar
1 lg can tomato sauce

Place all ingredients in large roasting pan. Bake at 350 degrees 2-3 hrs or till desired thickness.
Process in jars.
I chose to freeze the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thank you for taking the time to do so!