Funky Junk's Gitter Done! is in its second month of encouraging one to get a project finished or to share one already done. This arbor began when wooden porch posts were traded for vinyl posts at a church and were very quickly claimed by myself. They've been in storage for some years when finally, this spring I got an idea to create an arbor out of them for my zepherine drouhin rose.
This space was a forlorn, windswept space between the playhouse and the gazebo with a cornfield on the other side of the arborvitaes where the cornstalks ended up in the yard during winter time.
I tried different ideas but nothing really clicked till I remembered these stored porch posts.
Mr D placed the posts over re-bar, five feet apart,
using 3/4" pvc pipe, pushed them into the hollow top of the post,
and using a heavy screw to hold it all together.
I floored it in with slate pieces I had fa-eva that in its 'before' life,
served lots of other jobs and planted creeping thyme between it.
It is now a place of beauty and perfect for my rose, where in its other location, suffered majorly from lack of moisture and wind so much so, by the middle of summer,she was a sad-looking rose.
She looks lovely with the wrought iron set I got at the GW at an enormous bargain.The hanging light is for display only and will be switched our for another light that holds a candle in a glass vase, found at a yard sale.Pics of that are coming in another post after the twilight tour the end of the month.
This was an easy and fun project to do!