Monday, August 20, 2012

Canning Tomato Soup


Last week DIL M sauced tomatoes for me. Years ago she introduced a delicious tomato soup to our family and I decided to make the soup again. It's a quick meal on a cold winter night and is fabulous with toasted cheese sandwiches!

Because we're eating gluten-free, I changed a few ingredients but I'll give the original and add the changes in parenthesis.

Tomato Soup

Saute a bit:
 5 T. finely chopped onions
10 T. butter (or coconut oil)
Stir in and heat till smooth:
3/4 c. flour (or tapioca starch)
1/2 c. sugar (or rice syrup)
5 tsp. sea salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
Stir in:
10 c. tomato juice
(I added a cup at a time to avoid lumps several times)
Fill jars to within 1/2 inch and water bathe 1&1/2 hours.
If filled too much, it will cook over and run out of the jars.
Follow the usual rules of canning!

When I serve it, I dilute it with water but milk can be used - either way it's good!

3 comments:

Ruby Jean said...

Oh this sounds absolutely delicious.. I grew up on tomato and rice soup ours however was semi homemade. I have always wanted to be be able to can tomato sauces and soups.. :) Thanks for sharing.
Blessings
Angelina

Anonymous said...

Planning to can tomato soup for the first time. Does it have to be done with a pressure cooker or can you can in a big pot like you do with just tomatoes?

fleurcottage said...

anonymous: tomato soup can be done either way but i have no experience w/a pressure cooker.

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thank you for taking the time to do so!