Friday, November 6, 2009

Week End Musings

The sermon on Sunday has given me a lot to think about this week...i've been mulling on it all week, which is why this is done on a Friday morning instead of a Monday morning.
 That, and several other events that took place this week -
a birth and death and life itself...
A birth generally calls for celebration...
A death, for a Christian, is a celebration as well...
But life?

...which brings me to Sunday's sermon...


- The Dash Between -

Our birth and death is not so important as the 'dash' between it...it represents our life. This 'dash' is made up of little 'dashes' that are bits and pieces of our story.

...bits of truth spoken... 
- the end needs to be strong to the end
- too many small dashes are unfocused and useless - they become all about me
- what does it look like to live a life well-lived?
- what is my epitaph going to say about my life?
- do others see a reflection of Jesus in me?
- do i love well and give grace to others?


...speaking of grace...

 is grace easier than obedience?
...or...
 is obedience easier than grace?

- we need to be a people of healing rather than justice -

**************

...i come back to my question about my life...
- do i always do well?
- no...i do not...
- life is not always a celebration -
- or my 'dashes' are too small and unfocused -
but all my past dashes,
good ones and not so good
are who i am today...
but today i can choose...
choose to make focused and useful and healing grace
and being seen with Jesus choices.


...and when the casket is closed for the last time...
...and the last shovel full of dirt closes my grave...
....i want my epitaph to say...
Well done, thou good and faithful servant!

*******************
this week i attended two funerals...
an aunt who had a short time in her battle with cancer...
an old friend who was bed-ridden for eight years - two of those years unable to speak... 
and celebtrated the birth of my niece...

********************
...a few of my ancestors...

my grandparents
...an aunt and a brother, both young...
...and a still-born nephew in a tiny, tiny box, sharing my brother's grave...

***********************

"Life - the time God gives to determine how you spend eternity."
(a shared quote from sista Lil)

...blessedness!

ox

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you - thank you for taking the time to do so!